Friday, April 4, 2008

100 Calorie Environmentalism

I've never been much of an environmentalist. I live in Los Angeles, spend two hours in my car each day, and buy excessively packaged 100 calorie snacks. I'm something of a 'save water... drink champagne' girl. Never intentionally did anything to intentionally harm the planet, but didn't make too many deliberately  econscious decisions either. It's been pretty easy to say I'd be nicer to the environment if I just had more time, didn't need the miu miu patent flats, had more cash for a Prius, and couldn't consider anything on the menu but the chilean sea bass... (yup. recent learning curve. there are responsible/irresponsible entree choices.) 

Most people start their New Year's Resolutions in January, but mine has taken until Q2 to kick in.  I have a new job and feel I really landed on my feet. I'm part of a team working to develop a green fashion initiative, closing gaps in eco-apparel supply and demand by linking designers, retailers, manufacturers, suppliers and everyone in between. For me, it's the greatest gig there is! I am able to work in an industry that I love, but is traditionally one of pretty frivolous consumption and waste; work toward making a difference celebrating environmental leaders and providing the industry with much-needed resources to help clean up their/our act; and do this within a corporate framework that gives me a sense of stability and security - health insurance plans, 401k programs and a functioning IT department.

I don't want to lose my lifestyle, but I also can't justify Bush-bashing left-coast conversation or the eco title on my business card without making at least incremental changes. For better or... well... better, this season, I'm going green.

No comments: